Telephone: +65 6499 7454
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Sam Conrad Joyce is an Assistant Professor in Architecture and Sustainable Design at the Singapore University of Technology and Design.
Prior to this he was an Associate at Foster + Partners, in the Applied Research and Development group leading structural integration. Before this he held a role as Design Systems Analyst at Buro Happold working on geometrical, structural and master-planning projects.
He has taught internationally including Technical Studies in the Architectural Association, London, and Design Programming at Chalmers University, Gothenburg, Sweden.
His doctoral studies focus on computation for integrated architectural and engineering design, focussing on professional practice. Aiming to develop data rich systems for effective design space exploration and executive decision making. To enable this his work synthesizes and applies new techniques in distributed and scalable computing, multi-objective optimization, big data analytics, artificial intelligence and web based visualisation.
- 2008 MEng, Civil and Architectural Engineering, University of Bath
- 2015 EngD, Engineering Doctorate in Systems (on-going), Progressive performance driven design, University of Bath and Bristol (joint).
- 2012 – 2015 Foster + Partners, London, UK
- 2009 – 2011 Buro Happold, Bath-London, UK
- Design Optimization
- Design Space Exploration
- Digital Morphogenesis
- Scalable and Distributed Systems
- Data Analytics and Artificial Intelligence
- Web Based Visualisation
- 2012-2015 Doctorate in Design Systems (EngD) industrial collaboration with Foster + Partners
- Multi-objective design optimisation: getting more for less, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, Civil Engineering Journal Special Issue 165 May 2012.
- Integrated design in the simulation process,Proceedings of the Symposium on Simulation for Architecture & Urban Design, 2013.
- Thinking topologically at early stage parametric design, Proceedings of the Advances in Architectural Geometry Conference, Center de Pompidou, Paris, France 2012.
- The use of a particle method for the modelling of isotropic membrane stress for the form finding of shell
- structures, Computer-Aided Design Journal, 2014.
- The Generator 2.0, rethinking Cedric Price’s generator project, Proceedings of the Design Modelling Symposium, TU Berlin, Berlin, 2013.
- Applied multi-scale design and optimization for people flow, Association for Education and Research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland, 2010.