Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Michael Budig is Assistant Professor in Architecture and Sustainable Design at the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD). Before joining SUTD he was a senior researcher at the Singapore ETH Centre’s Future Cities Laboratory (FCL) from 2011 to 2014 and was leading a Singapore based research team for Gramazio & Kohler’s professorship for Architecture and Digital Fabrication (ETH Zurich). The project included PhD research, industry collaborations and design studios for Masters in Architecture students from ETH Zurich and NUS Singapore.
Prior to the activities at FCL Michael Budig was teaching and researching at Studio Hadid, University of Applied Arts Vienna, and the Institute for Experimental Architecture.Hochbau, University of Innsbruck. He is a registered architect (EU-wide, Austrian Chamber of Architects) and was principal at Moll Budig Architecture. Built projects include housing and industrial projects like a metal recycling company and soap production facilities, both located in Innsbruck (Austria). His main research focuses on parametric design, and digital fabrication and construction.
- Diplom Ingenieur Architektur (MArch), University of Innsbruck
- Pre-Diploma in Architecture, Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London
- Construction design with the implementation of digital design and fabrication technologies
- Parametric design
- Timber construction, concrete construction, tropical architecture and construction
- Material consumption
- Budig, M, Lim, J & Petrovic, R, 2014. Integrating Robotic Fabrication in the Design Process. In Made by Robots. Architectural Design Magazine 229. London: John Wiley and Sons, pp. 22-43.
- Budig, M, Lauer, W, Petrovic, R & Lim, J, 2014. Design of Robotic Fabricated High Rises. In Robotic Fabrication in Architecture, Art and Design 2014. New York: Springer, pp. 111-130.
- Budig, M, Neumayr, R, 2009. Associative Processes. In Design and Modelling Symposium 2009. Berlin: University of the Arts.
- Neumayr, R, Budig, M, 2009. Generative Processes. In Innovative Design + Construction Technologies 2009. Milano: Politecnico Milano.