Telephone: +65 6499 4774
Architecture and Sustainable Design and Practice, Computation Pertaining to the Description, Generation, and, Construction of Architecture and Urban Environments, Historical, Theoretical and Critical Approaches to Architectural Design
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Kenneth Tracy is an Assistant Professor in Architecture and Sustainable Design at the Singapore University of Technology and Design. Previously Tracy taught at American University of Sharjah, Pratt Institute, Columbia University, the New Jersey Institute of Technology, and at Washington University where in 2009 he established a fabrication research lab.
In 2010 Tracy co-founded Yogiaman Tracy Design, an award winning, experimental firm with projects in Indonesia and the US. Formerly Tracy was a founding partner at Associated Fabrication, a digital millwork shop and consultancy in Brooklyn, NY whose clients include Zaha Hadid Architects, the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, Chanel, Vito Acconci and MoMA.
Kenneth’s investigations into materials and processes borrow from production methods used in high-tech industry, artwork and traditional crafts. By sourcing material from outside of typical construction techniques these investigations expand the range of spatial possibilities for architecture. His research manifests in full-scale tests, installations, and buildings, as well as published papers and workshops. Tracy has lectured about his work at Columbia University, the University of Minnesota, and the University of Texas at Arlington.
- 2005 MArch, Columbia University, New York, New York
- 2000 BDes in Architecture, Magna Cum Laude, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Material Simulation
- Applied Building Information Modeling
- Traditional/Contemporary Craft Techniques
- Automated and Manual Construction Integration
- Winner 2012 TEX-FAB APPLIED: Research through Fabrication Competition: Cast Thicket
- Recipient 2013 AIA Middle East Awards, Merit Award: Cast Thicket Prototype
- Recipient 2015 ACSA Design-Build award: Riverlands Avian Observatory
- Tracy, Kenneth, et al. “Plastic-Cast Concrete: Fabrication as Applied Research” In FABRICATE : negotiating design & making. Fabio Gramazio, Matthias Kohler & Silke Langenberg (eds.) Zurich, 2014
- Colopy, Andrew and Tracy, Kenneth. “Avian Observatory.” In 102nd ACSA Annual Meeting Project Proceedings, Globalizing Architecture/ Flows and Disruptions, John Stuart & Mabel Wilson (eds.), Miami, 2014
- Yogiaman, Christine and Kenneth, Tracy. “Resonant Surface 01.” In ACADIA 14: Design Agency [Projects of the 34th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) Los Angeles, 2014
- Tracy, Kenneth; Yogiaman, Christine; Lavender Tessmer. “Tensile Effects: Semi-rigid concrete formwork.” In ACADIA 14: Design Agency [Proceedings of the 34th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) Los Angeles, 2014
- Tracy, Ken and Yogiaman, Christine. “Strand Porosities: Mixing Traditional Textile Technigues with Digital Craft.” In ACSA 101st Annual Meeting Proceedings, New Constellations, New Ecologies. Ila Berman & Edward Mitchell (eds.) San Francisco, 2013