Telephone: +65 6434 8211
Architecture and Sustainable Design and Practice, Historical, Theoretical and Critical Approaches to Architectural Design, People-Environment Studies, Design Thinking, Landscape Urbanism, Environmental Strategies in Architecture and Urban Design, Innovative Building Structure and Form
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Joshua Comaroff was raised in Chicago, USA, and studied literature, linguistics, and creative writing at Amherst College before joining the Master of Architecture and Master of Landscape Architecture programs at Harvard University Graduate School of Design.
He has worked for and studied under Rem Koolhaas, Rafael Moneo, Rodolfo Machado and Jorge Silvetti, Preston Scott Cohen, and David Adjaye. Joshua initially began working with Ong Ker-Shing in the firm Lekker Design in 2002, and later with Lekker Architects (founded 2015). In 2009, Josh completed a PhD in cultural geography at University of California Los Angeles, writing on the subject of haunted landscapes and urban memory in Singapore. He has published writing about architecture, urbanism, and politics, with an Asian focus. His articles have been published in Public Culture, Cultural Geographies, Journal of Architectural Education, and elsewhere. He is also a regular contributor to the Harvard Design Magazine. With Shing, he is co-author of Horror In Architecture.
- University of California Los Angeles, PhD, Geography, November 2009
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, Master of Architecture (with Distinction), June 2000 and
Master of Landscape Architecture, March 2001
- Amherst College, Amherst, MA, Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, June 1995
- Architecture and Sustainable Design and Practice
- Urban Design and Placemaking
- Educational Design
- Design for Disability
- Design of the Year, President’s Design Awards, 2015 (Caterpillar’s Cove)
- Finalist, Design of the year, President’s Design Awards, 2016, Yale-NUS Campus Landscape
- Maison & Objet Rising Asian Talent Award, 2016
- URA Architectural Heritage Award for Lorong 24A Geylang project, 2013
- Arthur J. Wheelwright Traveling Fellowship, Harvard University, 2005-6
- Comaroff, Joshua. 2016. Fearful Symmetry. Harvard Design Magazine no.42.
- Comaroff, Joshua. 2015. Built on Sand: Singapore and the New State of Risk. Harvard Design Magazine no.39.
- Lekker Architects. A Different Class: Preschool Spaces Redefined. Lien Foundation, 2014.
- Comaroff, Joshua and Ker-Shing Ong. Horror in Architecture. ORO Editions, 2013.
- The New Conservators: Lorong 24A Geylang Shophouse series. Issue #273, 2013. Singapore Architect, Singapore.
- Rising stars: Lekker Design. September 2009, Monocle, London, UK.
- I.D. Talented 40: Lekker Design. February 2009. I.D. Magazine, NYC, New York.
- Anything that is good is called Lekker. 2008-9. MARK Magazine 17, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- The Fifty Years of Design, National Design Centre, Singapore, March 2015- 2017
- Building x Body, Archifest, Singapore, October 2013
Curation of collaborative work between architects and fashion designers.
- Mutations, arc en rêve centre d’architecture, Bordeaux, France, November 2000 – March 2001
Exhibition of urban analysis of Lagos, Nigeria, with Harvard Project on the City
- Venice Biennale of Architecture, Venice, Italy, November 2008
Exhibition of architectural work by Lekker Design.
- Ordos100: cultural negotiations when building a city in the 21st Century, ART Basel, June 2009
Exhibition of Villa 81, designed for the Ordos100 project in Inner Mongolia, P.R.C.