Telephone: +65 6499 8751
Computation Pertaining to the Description, Generation, and, Construction of Architecture and Urban Environments, Artificial Morphogenesis, Design Thinking
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Felix Raspall is an architect and design researcher investigating the relationships between design, materiality and technology. He is an Assistant Professor at SUTD, holding a Doctor of Design from Harvard University, a Master of Architecture from Yale University, and B.Arch. from the University of Buenos Aires. He leads his own professional practice in Argentina.
Felix’s work explores modes of design production in which material constraints creatively inform designs through digital technologies. Drawing inspiration from the smartness and opportunism often found in local and informal material practices, he develops theories, design methods and enabling technologies for designing with materials and processes that involve large uncertainties and call for resourcefulness and improvisation. This approach involves rethinking the essence of ‘design’ as a real-time negotiation between what is desired and what is readily available, what is fixed in the project and what is left open-ended, and ultimately, what is directly controlled by the designers and what can be programmed into the ‘process’ itself.
Before joining SUTD, Felix conducted teaching and research in several institutions, including Harvard University, Graz University of Technology, and the University of Buenos Aires. His design and research work has been published in books and journals and was the recipient of several awards, including the CPAU Prize 2004, the Fulbright scholarship 2008-10, the Winchester Prize 2010 (Yale University), the Peter Rice Prize 2012 and the Digital Design Prize 2015 (Harvard University).
Research Opportunities: PhD and Postdoc positions specializing in digital design and manufacturing. Interested candidates please email your CV directly to me.
- Doctor of Design, Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2015
- Master of Architecture, Yale University, 2010
- Arch, University of Buenos Aires, 2004
- Design Thinking and Methods
- Design Computation
- Sensing technologies
- Digital Fabrication
- Informal and vernacular construction
- Harvard University: Digital Design Prize 2015; Peter Rice Prize, 2012
- Young CAADRIA Award 2013; Best Paper. Second Prize 2013
- Yale University: Winchester Prize 2010;
- Fulbright Commission: Master Scholarship 2008-2010
- Architecture and Urbanism Professional Association in Buenos Aires: Best Student Prize 2004
- Raspall, Felix. “Design with material Uncertainty: Responsive Design and Fabrication in Architecture”. In Design Modelling Symposium, Springer, 2015. (in press)
- Raspall, Felix, Felix Amtsberg, and Stefan Peters. “Digital-Material Feedback in Architectural Design”. In Emerging Experience in Past, Present and Future of Digital Architecture Hong Kong, 2015.
- Raspall, Felix. “A procedural framework for design to fabrication”. In Automation in Construction Special Issue: Design to Fabrication. Elsevier, 2015.
- Raspall, Felix. ”Digital-material feedback: Extending intuition into the production process”. In Graz Architecture Magazine (GAM) 10 (2014):184-195.
- Raspall Felix, Matias Imbern, and Will Choi. ”Adaptive tectonic systems: Parametric modeling and digital fabrication of precast roof assemblies toward site-specific design response”. In Adaptive Architecture: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) Cambridge 24-26 October, 2013 pp. 327-336.
- Imbern, Matias, Felix Raspall, and Qi Su. “Tectonic Tessellations: A digital Approach to Ceramic Structural Surfaces”. In Synthetic Digital Ecologies: Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA) San Francisco 18-21 October, 2012, pp. 315-321
- Mostafavi, Mohsen, and Leire Asensio (eds.) GSD Platform 7. Cambridge: Harvard University Graduate School of design, Actar: 2014. In press, featuring: “Informal Material Formations”
- Kleine Zeitung. May 1, 2014, p. 32, “Neue Zukunft für den alten Ziegel” Featured project: “Floating Ceramic Shell”
- Archdaily Architecture Blog. Fresno House / Felix Raspall + Federico Papandrea ArchDaily: 14 Mar 2013. Accessed 23 Mar 2014. http://www.archdaily.com/?p=343740. Featured project: “Fresno House”
- Mostafavi, Mohsen, and Mariana Ibanez (eds) GSD Platform 5. Cambridge: Harvard University Graduate School of design, Actar: 2012. Featured project: ”Fisac Variations”