Telephone: +65 6499 4909
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Research Areas: Computation, Architectural Conservation, Sustainable Design Science, Architectural Information Management
Carlos Banon is co-founder of Subarquitectura Architects Spain, Assistant Professor of Architecture and Sustainable Design at the Singapore University of Technology and Design, and co-founder of AirLab @SUTD. He holds an M.Arch. with Extraordinary Distinction.
He also held visiting professorships at MIT Massachussetts Institute of Technology and at EPFL, and was invited to lecture by a number of universities, including ETSAM Madrid, UIC Barcelona, KEA Copenhagen and PUPR Puerto Rico. His research projects span from Geometric Exploration for Space Making (GESM), 3D Printing applied to actual building components, Artificial Intelligence applied to high-rise developments, and Affordable Housing prototypes.
He also implements his research and teaching methodologies in Design Studios where he applies Parametric Design, into actual buildings through his architectural practice. He was awarded with the Design of the Year Prize by the London Design Museum, received international recognition with the Golden Medal given by the International Olympic Committee, the Spanish Biennial Prize and the Mies Van der Rohe Prize nomination.
- Master of Architecture (MArch) University of Alicante, with Honor Distinction (2004)
- Master in Complex Architectures. University of Alicante (2007)
Selected Research Projects
- Principal Investigator. 3DPA Metal 3D Printing Applied to actual building components. Programme funded by SUTD-ZJU University.
- Principal Investigator. Geometric Exploration for Space Making in a Tropical Context. SRG Funded by SUTD.
- Principal Investigator. Artificial Intelligence applied to the design of Skyscrapers. Funded by SUTD-MIT International Design Centre.
- Co-Principal Investigator. Promoting Low-Cost Housing through Urban MiningAffordable Housing Design in Batam. Funded by SUTD-MIT International Design Centre.
- Co-Principal Investigator. Metal 3D Printed furniture. Funded by SUTD Digital Manufacturing and Design and (DManD) Centre
Selected Research Works
- iLight Marina Bay 2016, with Professor Felix Raspall (SUTD)
- iLight Marina Bay 2017, with Snohetta Architects and Felix Raspall (SUTD)
- Urban Design Festival 2018 bamboo canopy, with Professor Felix Raspall (SUTD) and Felix Amtsberg (MIT)
- SUTD Open House 2018, with Professor Felix Raspall (SUTD)
- SUTD Open House 2016, with Professor Felix Raspall (SUTD)
- SUTD Open House 2015, with Professor Toni Kotnik (Aalto University)
- Geometric Exploration for Space Making (GESM)
- Parametric Design
- Digital Fabrication and Design Optimization
- Artificial Intelligence
- Affordable Housing