Architecture Core Studio 2 presents ‘the digital archive’ exhibition and final presentation at SUTD Campus Centre Level 1. This studio explores the thresholds between the real and the virtual through the use of Virtual Reality – a bold and innovative approach to architectural education locally, regionally and globally. Be the first to experience architecture in virtual reality, and virtual reality in architecture.
Final Presentation would be held on Monday, 29 April 2019, 10.30am to 6pm at Campus Centre Level 1. Join us if you wish to find out more.
Core Studio 2 Team
Coordinator: Eva Castro
VR/AR workshops: IRL (Jacob Chen.Song, Young Bin, Yi Jun Ng)
Digital Humanities: Federico Ruberto
Studios Leads: Christine Yogiaman, Jason Lim, Jane Chua, Deniz Manisali
Core Studio 2 Brief
1. CRITICAL ATTITUDE
- expanding the scope of architectural problems to rather open up to the world of potentials and possibilities within a projective field
- generating a critical discourse
- seeking the development of techniques that can liberate thought from the local place –site, type & time, to create a design-agency that projects into the future, the universal conditions and start grasping new notions that will lead to the invention of new forms of archive, production and inhabitation.
2. THE SITE-LESS AS A CONDITION
- a building type without specific site to challenge preconceived cultural conditions; the “known” and the “appropriate”, to create experimental prototypes whose specificity don’t arise from the regulative condition of a specific place but from the environmental fictions the students will craft as part of their briefs.
- the building’s temporality will be that of a desired future, and as such we will be prioritizing the consistency of the narratives over the ‘real’ constrains of a specific environment
- to design the ‘time’ in which the building will be made requires to understand ‘time’ as a history to be made, one of which we, as designers and as world-makers, must be active participants
- The design will be a program to organize in space and time, in a crafted narrative, a series of interfaces, material or otherwise, between analog atmospheres and digital environments.
3. CRAFTING DIGITAL TOOLS: VR
- we foster within the projects a sensitiveness –much like the one of an artisan, one that stems from the utilization of certain tools and that develops by crafting together skills and end-pieces
- the final work shall be a synthesis of the relationship between design-agency, future experience and the employment-integration of such tools in the design process