Telephone: +65 6499 4533
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Research Areas: Sustainable Design Science, Architectural Design, Architectural Information Management
Prior to joining SUTD, Oliver was an Assistant Professor of Architecture at Technical University Berlin and practiced as an architect in Europe. He studied at Technical University Berlin, University of the Arts Berlin (UdK Berlin) , and Bartlett School of Architecture in London and has been a member of the Architecture Chamber Berlin since 2000. Oliver has worked on large and small-scale projects with his own firm HAHOH Architects and other architecture practices in Berlin as well as with UNStudio in Amsterdam, where he was responsible for the design of the Town Hall and Cultural Centre Ijsselstein.
At Technical University Berlin, Oliver taught architecture design studios and implemented design courses on the Bachelor and Master level with a focus on urban scale. He also conducted summer workshops, lectured extensively and organized design-related seminars. His own office worked on a series of public and residential projects. The projects include the conversion of former military and industrial facilities, community centres, energy-efficient architecture, innovative residential buildings with flexible floor plans, and collaborative housing projects. Oliver is the author of the revised and expanded edition of Floor Plan Manual Housing, a standard reference book on innovative housing projects published by Birkhäuser. The book analyzed 165 important examples and has been published both an English- and German-language edition.
- M.Arch (Dipl.Ing.Arch) UdK Berlin
- Diploma of Architecture Bartlett School of Architecture and Planning, UCL London
- BArch, Technical University Berlin
- Architectural design
- Innovative housing with focus on urban context and inclusion
- Urban transformations
- Frictions and revitalisation
- Oliver is currently working on a new book on the urbanity of Seoul
- Floor Plan Manual Housing, Fourth, Revised and Expanded Edition, edited by Oliver Heckmann, with Friederike Schneider – (Birkhäuser 2011)