Telephone: +65 6499 7168
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Research Areas: Sustainable Design Science, Architectural Design, Urban Planning, Architectural Information Management
F. Peter Ortner is Assistant Professor in Architecture and Sustainable Design at the Singapore University of Technology and Design. His current research asks how we can build more sustainably and resiliently by taking urban metabolism data into account during the design process. Evidence-based design of cities and buildings for Urban Air Mobility, the growing presence of drones and air taxis, is another ongoing research interest. Peter’s doctoral research built on insights from critical data studies to elucidate the changing role of architecture and architect in complex, data-driven urban systems.
Peter received a PhD from EPFL where his doctoral thesis was nominated for the EPFL and City of Lausanne prizes. At EPFL Peter taught architecture studio with Media x Design Lab, a cross-disciplinary team of designers and computer scientists. He holds a Master’s in Architecture from Harvard University where he was recipient of the Faculty Design Award, and a Bachelor of Arts cum laude with distinction in architecture from Yale University.
Peter has practiced architecture internationally, working in the United States with SsD Architecture, Safdie Architects and SOM New York, and previously maintained an architectural practice in Geneva, Switzerland.
- PhD in Architecture and the Sciences of the City, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland
- MArch, Harvard University, Graduate School of Design, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
- B.A. in Architecture, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
- Data-driven Urban and Architectural Design
- History and Theory of Socio-technical Urban Systems
- Urban Automation and Urban Air Mobility
- Sustainable, Resilient Design via Urban Metabolism analytics
- Ortner, F. Peter. 2019. Architecture in the Data-driven City. PhD dissertation, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
- Ortner, F. Peter. 2017. ‘Metric as Mediator: Data-driven negotiation over Heathrow’s Noise Landscape.’ in Boucsein et al. The Noise Landscape: A Spatial Exploration of Airports and Cities. nai010 publishers, Rotterdam. 215-226 (2017)
- B. Boucsein, F. P. Ortner and J. Jehle. ‘London-Heathrow Portrait.’ in Boucsein et al. The Noise Landscape: A Spatial Exploration of Airports and Cities. nai010 publishers, Rotterdam. 120-137 (2017)
- Ortner, F. Peter. 2019. ‘Circular Buiksloterham: A Case Study of Architecture in the Data-driven City.’ Scaffolds, Open Encounters with Society, Art & Architecture. (publication pending)
- J. Huang, T. Patt and F. P. Ortner. 2013. ‘Artificial Morphogenesis: The Guangzhou Tower Delta Studio.’ Landscape Architecture Futures. 138-149