Telephone: +65 6303 6665
Pillar / Cluster: Architecture and Sustainable Design
Research Areas: Sustainable Design Science
Jooyoung Hong is an Assistant Professor in Architecture and Sustainable Design at the Singapore University of Technology and Design. His umbrella research area of interest is in soundscape. Soundscape, the acoustic analogy to landscape, is a new paradigm by emphasizing a holistic perspective of the perceived acoustic environments in a given context. He has investigated relationships between physical acoustic phenomena and human perception in the indoor and outdoor environment through multidisciplinary approaches from acoustics, psychology, architecture and urban planning.
Jooyoung received his B.Sc and Ph.D. in Architectural Environmental Engineering from Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea in 2010 and 2015, respectively. He was invited as one of the Korean participants to the Global Young Scientist Summit @one-north 2015, Singapore. In 2017, he was a recipient of the prestigious Lee Kuan Yew Post-Doctoral Fellowship at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Ph.D. Architectural Environmental Engineering, Hanyang University, Korea
- B.Sc. Architectural Engineering, Hanyang University, Korea
Awards and Fellowship
- Lee Kuan Yew Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2017
- Sejong Excellent Scientific Book Award, Urban Soundscape Design, Jipmoondang, Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of Korea, 2017
- Best Paper Award (Internoise 2015, San Francisco, USA), The International Institute of Noise Control Engineering (I-INCE), 2015
- Prize of Excellent Ph.D. Thesis, Graduate school, Hanyang University, 2015
- Young Scientist Grant (ICBEN 2014, Nara, Japan), Michiko So Finegold Memorial Trust and International Commission for Acoustic (ICA), 2014
- Architectural Acoustics
- Building and Environmental Noise
- Environmental Psychology
Selected Research Project
- Adaptive Augmenting Urban Soundscape: Novel Solutions for Designing the Urban Sound Environment, Lee Kuan Yew Postdoctoral Fellowship, (2017-2020)
- Augmenting Urban Soundscape (AUS) Phase 1, National Research Foundation of Singapore (2017-2020)
- Development of Real-time Modeling and Rendering Methodology of Dynamic Interactive 3D Sound in Coexistent Space, National Research Foundation of Korea (2014-2016)
- Holistic and Sustainable Abatement of Noise by Optimized Combinations of Natural and Artificial Means, National Research Foundation of Korea (2010-2013)
- J.Y. Hong, Z.T. Ong, B. Lam, K. Ooi, W.S. Gan, J. Kang, S.T. Tan, F. Jing, Effects of adding natural sounds to traffic and construction noises on the perceived loudness of noise and soundscape quality, Science of the Total Environment, 2020. (SCI, Tier 1).
- J.Y. Hong, B. Lam, Z.T. Ong, K. Ooi, W.S. Gan, J. Kang, S. Yeong, I Lee, S.T. Tan, The effects of spatial separations between water sound and traffic noise sources on soundscape assessment, Building and Environment, Vol. 167, 106423, 2020. (SCIE, Tier 1).
- J.Y. Hong, B. Lam, Z.T. Ong, K. Ooi, W.S. Gan, J. Kang, F. Jing, S.T. Tan, Quality assessment of acoustic environment reproduction methods for cinematic virtual reality in soundscape applications, Building and Environment, Vol. 149, pp. 1-14, 2019. (SCIE, Tier 1).
- J.Y. Hong, J.Y. Jeon, Exploring spatial relationships among soundscape variables in urban areas: A spatial statistical modelling approach, Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol. 157, pp.352–364, 2017. (SSCI, Tier 1).
- J.Y. Hong, J.Y. Jeon, Influence of urban contexts on soundscape perceptions: A structural equation modeling approach, Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol.141, pp. 78-87, 2015. (SSCI, Tier 1).