Portraits of a Sustainable World
The Sustainable Design Studio Option builds upon and continues the Architectural Core Studio sequence taught in terms 4, 5 and 6, and explores the multi-dimensional issues of sustainable design through a variety of lenses and at diverse temporal and spatial scales. Issues of resource efficiency, resilience, material and typological innovation, micro-climatic and site affordances, life-cycles and metabolism, and many other critical issues will serve as the projective context in which students will develop critical design solutions for small, medium and large scale architectures and urban interventions.
The precise operational directives, precise briefs and specific sites, will be defined by the individual design critics in separate yet interconnected studio options, conducted in parallel under the umbrella of sustainable design. Each of these individual studio options, will be led by ASD faculty and visiting professors from around the world, and culminate in a speculative final project that will articulate architecturally specific positions regarding sustainable design in real world projects.
No of Credits: 18
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify issues of sustainable design in relation to socioeconomic, demographic and cultural trends,through the analysis of literature and review of architectural precedents
- Perform rigorous site analysis and map the site conditions
- Critique a project brief and develop strong, generative sustainable design concepts
- Translate design concepts into meaningful architectural and/or urban propositions at appropriate scales and levels of granularity
- Create convincing arguments for the design propositions and persuasive visual and tangible evidence
- Interpret the sustainable parameters and other issues of relevance to the project using drawings and diagrams
- Respond to a specific project brief and specific context with a meaningful design concept
- Produce coherent architectural representations and models at sufficient levels of detail
- Communicate convincingly sustainable design propositions in the form of renderings, drawings, simulations, models