Adjunct Assistant Professor
Pillar / Cluster:
Calvin is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in SUTD and practices independently under Spatial Anatomy, an architectural and urban design platform for rethinking paradigms of the living environment. Calvin graduated from the Architectural Association in London and is a registered architect with the ARB and RIBA in the UK.
Professionally, Calvin has worked for various award-winning architectural practices in Europe and Asia, notably with Cecil Balmond focusing on non-linear design, urban regeneration and mixed-use projects in Sri Lanka. More recently, Calvin was a Fellow at Fundacion Metropoli, advising policy makers on innovation and the development of cities and has lectured on urban development in Central Asia for the Asian Development Bank.
Being active in the academic field, Calvin has taught workshops at various universities including the AA and Istanbul Bilgi University, won various awards including the UIA (Union internationale des Architectes) and has written for journals and magazines including the East Asia Forum, MONU and Singapore Architect.
Apart from his professional practice, Calvin engages in non-profit initiatives in one of the most challenging countries in the world, the DPRK. Through Choson Exchange, Calvin has delivered various urban design workshops to DPRK policy makers, including directing an AA Visiting School Program recently in Pyongyang.
- AA Diploma, Architectural Association, London, UK
- Postgraduate Diploma with Merit, University of Westminster, London, UK
- Architectural and Urban Typologies
- Urban Regeneration
- Environmental Systems
- Political Theory
- Young Leader of Tomorrow and a Topic Leader for the St Gallen Symposium, 2015
- Awarded Design Residency in Doha under the British Council Old Doha Prize, 2013
- Honourable Mention for Belgorod Urban Design Competition, 2013
- Winner of Wilmotte Foundation Prix W, 2012
- Bronze Prize winner of UIA (Union internationale des Architectes) Student Prize, 2011
- Winner of AA Student Travelship Prize, 2009
- Recipient of full-scholarship from Loke Cheng Kim Foundation Scholarship, 2006 – 2011
- ‘A New Design for DPRK’s Construction Industry’, East Asia Forum, June 2014
- ‘Pop-up Pyongyang´ in Dongwoo Yim et al, North Korea Atlas (Damdi: Seoul, 2014)
- ‘Greater Singapore: Exporting the City State’, MONU, Issue 18, 2013
- ‘The (non) Architecture of Sustainability’, Singapore Architects, Issue 274, 2013
- ‘Some Thoughts on Creative Practice’, AA Conversations, 2013
- ‘Learning Spaces: Between Openness and Enclosure’, TiP, Issue 12, 2012
- ‘Review of the UIA World Congress of Architecture’, Singapore Architects, Issue 266, 2011
- ‘Generi-city’, Singapore Architects, Issue 264, 2011
- ‘Breeding Design Through Geographies’, Singapore Architects, Issue 254, 2009
- ‘The Birth of Conditions’, Singapore Architects, Issue 250, 2008
- ‘The Power of the Dream’, Singapore Architects, Issue 246, 2008