In collaboration with Kyoto Institute of Technology, ASD students went on a short-term exchange programme to Japan from 8 to 20 January 2017. During the programme, students conducted research on Kyoto innovations, and visited various cultural sites and professionals:
- Nishibori Kotaro of New Kyoto initiative
- Aki Murase of Re-planter, garden artist
- Asami Toshiyuki of Asami Architects – giver of new lives to Machiyas
- Guan Yi-Shen of Shimaya stays
- Nakamura Sotoji – master craftmen/carpenters
- The Kyoto Research Centre with PriceWaterhouse Cooper (PWC)
SUTD Opportunity Lab, led by Prof. Chong Keng Hua, also supported the students’ fieldwork in Naoshima Island and Tokyo, to conduct case studies in urban design and social design, which culminated in a final student presentation of data into scenarios of experiences.