Professor and Associate Head of Pillar
Tel: +65 6303 6675
Environmental Strategies in Architecture and Urban Design, Climate-Responsive Design Optimisation and Integration, Advanced Design Methods and Building Processes, Innovative Building Structure and Form
Professor Schroepfer holds Doctoral and Master’s degrees with Distinction from Harvard University. He began his academic career at Harvard’s Graduate School of Design where he was appointed Assistant Professor of Architecture in 2004 and Associate Professor of Architecture in 2008. He was named Full Professor after joining Singapore University of Technology and Design in 2011 where he became the founding director of the University’s award-winning Advanced Architecture Laboratory. He held visiting professorships at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, National University of Singapore and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Together with Limin Hee, he leads Schroepfer + Hee, an award-winning international design firm.
Professor Schroepfer’s work investigates the increasingly complex relationship between design and technology in architecture. His research and design projects relate to advances in environmental strategies, structure and form, performance and energy, computer simulation and modelling, digital fabrication and building processes. He has lectured extensively on his work that has been exhibited at important international venues, including at the Venice Architecture Biennale and the World Congress of Architecture. His book publications have been translated into several languages and include Dense + Green: Innovative Building Types for Sustainable Urban Architecture (Birkhäuser, 2015), Ecological Urban Architecture: Qualitative Approaches to Sustainability (Birkhäuser, 2012) and Material Design: Informing Architecture by Materiality (Birkhäuser, 2010). In 2011, he was named Author of New and Notable Books on Architecture, Culture and Design by Metropolis Magazine. His work has been covered by a variety of media including The New York Times, Channel News Asia, The Straits Times, El Mundo, Berliner Zeitung, Tagesspiegel, Bauwelt, Metropolis and Harvard Design Magazine. Most recent projects include The Future of Us Exhibition Pavilion for Singapore’s 50th Jubilee (SG50) capstone event, Sonic SG, a large-scale installation on the Singapore River and RIBbon, a transformation of Singapore’s Read Bridge. Professor Schroepfer is the recipient of prestigious awards including the A’ Platinum Design Award, Singapore Design Gold Award, SG Mark Award, Singapore Institute of Architects Award, Gwangju Design Biennale Award and International Union of Architects Award.
- Doctor of Design, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 2004
- Master of Architecture with Distinction, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 2000
- Diplom-Ingenieur Architektur, Summa Cum Laude, Universität der Künste Berlin, Germany, 1995
- Bachelor of Architecture, The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, New York, New York, USA, 1995
- Principal Investigator. Dense + Green Building Typologies (Singapore-ETH Centre Future Cities Laboratory Phase 2). Funded by Singapore National Research Foundation.
- Principal Investigator. Integrated Tools for Efficient Optimisation of Parametric Design. Funded by SUTD-MIT International Design Centre.
- Principal Investigator. Future Urban Typologies for Enhancing Liveability in Singapore (Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities The Future of Cities Project). Funded by Singapore National Research Foundation.
- Principal Investigator. Stone Caldarium: An Architecture Prototype for the Generation of Urban Microclimates. Funded by SUTD-MIT International Design Centre.
- Principal Investigator. Optimisation Tools for Generative Methods in Ecological Urban Architecture. Funded by SUTD-MIT International Design Centre.
- Principal Investigator. Climate-Responsive Design Optimisation and Integration in Architecture and Urban Design. Funded by Singapore University of Technology and Design.
- Principal Investigator. Dense + Green: Innovative Building Types for Sustainable Urban Architecture. Funded by Lee Kuan Yew Centre for Innovative Cities.
- Principal Investigator. Ecological Urban Architecture: Qualitative Approaches to Sustainability. Funded by Harvard University Real Estate Academic Initiative.
- Principal Investigator. Environmental Adaptation: Architecture Experiments for Singapore’s New Waterfront. Funded by Far East Organization.
- Principal Investigator. Material Design: Informing Architecture by Materiality. Funded by Harvard University Graduate School of Design and Material ConneXion.
- Principal Investigator. Transurban: Charting Experiments for Cities of the Future. Funded by Harvard University Real Estate Academic Initiative.
- Principal Investigator. Integrating Material Culture in Architectural Education. Funded by Harvard University Graduate School of Design.
Selected Awards and Achievements
- Recipient of A’ Design Platinum Award
- Invited exhibition at Museum of Outstanding Design Como, Italy
- Recipient of Singapore Design Gold Award
- Recipient of SG Mark Award
- Member of Singapore-ETH Centre Future Cities Laboratory Steering Committee
- Editor of SpringerBriefs in Architectural Design and Technology
- Member of Singapore Institute of Architects Architectural Design Awards Jury
- Member of Singapore Green Building Awards Jury
- Invited exhibition at Venice Biennale
- Invited exhibition at Singapore National Design Centre
- Singapore Institute of Architects Award
- Visiting professorship at Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Metropolis Magazine Author of New and Notable Books on Architecture, Culture and Design
- Visiting professorship at National University of Singapore
- Visiting professorship at Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
- Recipient of Gwangju Design Biennale Award
- Recipient of International Union of Architects Award
- Invited exhibitions at Singapore Institute of Architects, Singapore Urban Redevelopment Authority, Hong Kong Institute of Architects, Fundación Metropoli, Tsinghua University, Seoul Space Gallery, Harvard University
- Keynote speaker at various conferences
- Schroepfer, T. Computational Strategies for Ecological Architecture and Urban Design. New York: Springer, forthcoming 2016.
- Schroepfer, T. Dense + Green: Building Typologies for Sustainable Urban Architecture. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2015.
- Schroepfer, T. “Investigations in Generative Design Approaches to Tropical Urban Architecture” in Karlyn de Jongh (ed.) Time Space Existence. Venice: La Biennale di Venezia, 2014.
- Schroepfer, T. “Ecological Urban Architecture: Taking Stock of Green” in Singapore Architect 270-276 (series of six articles).
- Schroepfer, T. “Innovative Building Skins for the Tropics: The Singapore New Jurong Church” in International Union of Architects 24th World Congress of Architecture Proceedings. Tokyo: UIA, 2013.
- Schroepfer, T. Ecological Urban Architecture: Qualitative Approaches to Sustainability. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2012.
- Schroepfer, T. “Architectural Design Strategies for Liveable High-Density Urban Environments” in World Architecture 262.
- Schroepfer, T. “Bamboo Oblique: An Experimental Pavilion for the Gwangju Design Biennale” in Input_Output: Adaptive Materials and Mediated Environments Conference Proceedings, edited by Rashida Ng and Sneha Patel. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2011.
- Schroepfer, T. “Particular Matters” in Pidgin 10. New York: Princeton University, 2011.
- Schroepfer, T. Material Design: Informing Architecture by Materiality. Basel: Birkhäuser, 2011.
- Schroepfer, T. et al. “Aspirations and Realities of Exemplary EcoCites” in DETAIL Green, 2/2010.
- Schroepfer, T. “Moving Beyond LEED: Evaluating Ecological Architecture on the Urban Scale” in Mohsen Mostafavi with Gareth Doherty (eds.) Ecological Urbanism. Baden: Lars Müller Publishers, 2010.
- Schroepfer, T. et al. Transurban Case Studies 1-5. Cambridge: Harvard University Graduate School of Design, 2007-2010.
- Schroepfer, T. “Integrating Material Culture” in Journal of Architectural Education Issue 60 Volume 2.